Monday, 14 January 2013

Stone Barges, Rainham

Took Coco for a walk along the river this morning, starting and finishing at the stone barges, Rainham. One of the first birds I saw, well I actually heard it first was a Grey Wagtail. It flew over and landed out of sight in Tilda Rice's compound. A year-tick and my 92nd species seen in Essex this year. The next was three Skylarks on the newly capped grassy area of the adjacent landfill site. My third and final one here was Water Pipit. A well marked bird feeding with pied wagtails in front of the stone barges.



Feeding time as another lorry load of landfill arrives, there must be a Caspian in there somewhere!

Just to prove I was walking the dog, here is Coco.



A view looking west, taken just before the end of our walk, it had become very grey and was about to start snowing.

Arrived back home, had a cup of tea and then got a tweet saying there was a Firecrest and Siskins at Dagenham Chase. They were seen on the Havering side of The Rom Valley, near the steps from the kissing gate entrance on Bancroft Chase road. After an hour and a half of searching, first in heavy snowfall and finally in pouring rain I found the Firecrest, a cracking little male and 95th for my Essex Year list.