Sunday, 24 March 2013

A cold day in south Essex

This morning I was back at West Canvey Marsh, hoping that yesterdays adult Glaucous Gull might reappear, it didn't! I got quite excited for one brief moment when I thought I had found it, but alas it was the leucistic Herring Gull which as been seen recently on Pitsea landfill site. Rubbish cropped image below!

Leucistic Herring Gull

The Grey Heron below showed a little better. Also seen was an adult male Marsh Harrier hunting the ditches in the back fields and causing the 500 odd wigeon to panic.


 The afternoon I walked around part of Bowers Marsh in a mind numbingly cold easterly, hoping that maybe the Glaucous Gull maybe over there, it wasn't! A male Wheatear was a nice find as was a female Goldeneye and 20 Golden Plover. Counted around 50 Snipe and slightly fewer Meadow Pipits both good counts locally.