Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Reeling and Chock Chock Chocking!

An early morning start at Friars Park, Shoeburyness in the very slim hope that yesterday evenings male Pied Flycatcher may still be present. Sadly it wasn't, at this time of the year our returning summer migrants really have one thing on their mind. Return to their breeding territory, find a mate and raise a family, simple. It is not often that migrants in spring passing through our area stay long as was the case with the Pied Flycatcher. Brief views of a Little Owl and my first Cuckoo of spring were some compensation.

Headed off to Two Tree Island, I had planned to be there early, but due to my detour for the flycatcher I didn't arrive until almost 9 am. My second Cuckoo of the day this one was singing, a short burst of 'reeling' song of the Grasshopper Warbler which is holding territory just north of the small air strip and an even shorter view. I moved across to the east side of the island and followed the main track east, I could hear a Nightingale singing even before I had reached the feeding station. That loud "Chock Chock Chock" the Nightingale is famous for its rich tones and exceptional musicality. There were not one but three different individuals singing and occasionally showing well.

Below is a recording of a male Nightingale recorded in Bedfordshire


The second Grasshopper Warbler performed better than the first 'reeling' and showing near the scrape.

Greenshank from the viewing screen