Sunday, 19 May 2013

A Dusky Disaster

Margate Cemetery, I was there just before 7 am this morning, and although the thought hadn't even crossed my mind, I just knew as soon as I arrived. The DUSKY THRUSH has not been seen! Birders were either just roaming around or chatting in small groups, some were even sitting in their vehicles waiting for someone to find it.

Dusky Thrush, a near mythical bird for British birders with the last twitchable bird being way back in 1959. First found in the cemetery on Wednesday but not identified until Friday, with news breaking late Friday evening. I couldn't go yesterday (Saturday) when it was present and showing pretty much all day!

The cemetery is a large one with loads of fantastic mature trees and bushes and after about four hours of searching, I resorted to snapping birds on gravestones, oh hum!




Stopped in at Reculver on the way home and a female Montagu's Harrier and a Tree Pipit were little compensation, and I returned home early and despondent.