Friday, 17 January 2014

Ferry Lane to Coldharbour Point

Mid morning I walked the Thames riverside walk from Ferry Lane (just west of Tilda Rice) to Coldharbour Point and back. High tide today is around 13.30, so still a good amount of exposed mud to be seen. Last winter this area held 2 probably 3 Black Redstarts, and with one seen a few days ago at Coldharbour Point, it was worth a look. There were four Dunlin in the Redshank flock near the stone barges, and further on I counted eight Snipe along the tide line, while a pair of Great Crested Grebes were just offshore.

Sadly, no sign of any Black Redstarts, but a Grey Wagtail was a nice find at Coldharbour Point. I was unable to get very close, but did manage a few record shots with my iPhone connected to the scope. It was feeding amongst the tideline debris, and there is a lot of debris!






























The above Kestrel was using a lamppost as a lookout point on my return to Ferry Lane. By now the rain had started and I only managed a phone scoped record shot.