Monday, 24 February 2014

Orsett Fen

Spent a few hours walking around Orsett Fen, it was a beautiful clear bright morning and 14°C. My first visit here, the land is mainly arable with some scattered copse, a few small waterways although a couple were barely flowing and a medium sized reservoir, which held a single Coot & 3 Mallards!

There were good numbers of Red-legged Partridge but I couldn't find any of the hoped for Grey Partridge. Chaffinches and Greenfinches were singing well, along with Dunnock and Robin. I could also hear a distant Song Thrush. Failed to find any Yellowhammers, infact I never saw or heard a single bunting! Skylarks were good value, but the stars of the morning had to be the Common Buzzards. The most together in one group was four, but with four other single birds seen and a pair mating in a distant tree! I had to be in double figures for the morning. They were always just too far away for a decent photograph, the one below is heavily cropped. All in all an enjoyable morning.

Popped into Ferry Lane, Rainham on my way home, and the female Kestrel is still present, although she didn't show quite so well today!























Just noticed that she may possibly have a problem with what looks like a piece of yellow plastic attached to her beak. It certainly wasn't obvious at the time or when I uploaded the original images.