Thursday, 10 April 2014

Bempton Cliffs

Yesterday I spent a fantastic day at RSPB Bempton Cliffs. I must thank Scott and his brilliant team for making myself and all the other visitors feel really welcome.

As ever the birds and scenery was stunning, Gannets & Kittiwakes showed superbly all along the cliffs.I only managed to find one puffin on the cliffs and he or she was a little distant, record shot below.


It is early in the breeding season, and the majority of Puffins, Razorbills & Guillemots were still on the sea, with just a few individuals staking their claim to a ledge on the cliff face.

The gannets breeding season was well underway, apparently the first Gannet egg was seen on March 28th. Their was lots of posing and posturing and beak displaying, the couple tapping their beaks together like some sort of amorous sword fight!


Some pairs were beyond the displaying stage!



The Kittiwakes breeding season was also well underway, I took many photographs during the day and below are some of my better Kittiwake efforts.





A Peregrine made a sortie over the cliffs, record shot below.


Four Lapland Buntings showed well in one of the stubble fields and included this fine male.



  Lots of sparrows were around the visitor centre and they were all Tree Sparrows, a species that has pretty much disappeared from Essex!


A single Swallow and three Wheatears were also seen during the day and despite my best efforts I never managed a Fulmar image. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make a return visit!