Friday, 6 June 2014

Fingringhoe Wick

Had a great day at EWT's Fingringhoe Wick Nature Reserve today. Glorious weather with sunshine all day. I was really pleased that some of the Nightingales were still singing, I counted at least four songsters across the reserve. Not certain if these are still unpaired males, or maybe hoping to attract a second female, if Nightingales do that!

Lots of purring going on as well, and I counted at least five different individuals, no not cats!...Turtle Doves with one showing well.
Turtle Dove

Turtle Dove



Also saw a single spike of Bee Orchid, beautiful plant and thanks to the volunteer in the visitor centre for tipping me off.

Bee Orchid

Bee Orchid


Good numbers of Dragons and Damsels around the pond, I spent some time trying to photograph them, but still need to improve the art!

Four-spotted Chaser

Azure Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly

I think this could be a Four-spotted Chaser exuvia, if you can ID it for sure please let me know

































Lots of other stuff seen around the reserve, including Cuckoo, Hobby, families of Blackcaps and long-tailed tits and a Bar-tailed Godwit feeding along the estuary. Also, plenty of biting mosquitoes, knew I shouldn't have worn shorts!