Sunday, 6 July 2014

RSPB Rye Meads

Friday I spent a very enjoyable day at the RSPB's Rye Meads Nature Reserve. The weather could not have been better, clear blue sky, warm sunshine with a slight breeze....lovely.

From the gadwall hide the pair of Black-necked Grebes and their two chicks showed very well.














The male Kingfisher showed very well, regularly feeding the chicks in one nest hole and occasionally visiting the female who I would guess is incubating their third clutch of eggs in a second nest hole.

 I tried to get some flight shots with varying degrees of success. He was quick and I found it difficult holding focus on him. My best efforts are below!





 After catching a fish, he would give it a good batter before carrying it back to feed to the chicks!








Black-tailed Skimmer

Broad-bodied Chaser

Broad-bodied Chaser

Common Soldier Beetle

Common Soldier Beetle

Grey Heron

Grey Heron