Thursday, 25 September 2014

Garden Birding

At home in the garden today, in between painting the shed I spent some time skywatching! Half a dozen Swallows heading south, followed by three Meadow Pipits and a Jay. Rarely see jays from my garden, so I was quite surprised an hour later to hear another Jay going over, and looking up I counted a group of five heading north. To put that in to context, I have only ever seen a single Jay on three other occasions in the last ten years! I have seen a few comments recently on social media, that there could be a shortage of acorns this autumn and Jays are moving in search of food. This could explain my record garden sighting!

Also, our regular Sparrowhawk, instead of flying through the garden, today it stopped briefly on a neighbours television aerial.