Thursday, 8 January 2015

Rainham Water Rail

Popped in to RSPB Rainham Marshes yesterday afternoon in the hope that the Water Rail was still showing on the northern boardwalk. After spending the morning at Wanstead Park photographing the Slavonian Grebe, I was hungry and settled down to beans on toast. I'd just taken my first mouthful, when Howard spotted one of the Ravens flying across the reserve, not a bad bird to start my visit with!

Walking anti-clockwise around the reserve and just past the Ken Barrett hide where the boardwalk starts, the Water Rail did indeed show well on the pool where the terrapin used to be.





It was also good to meet Gary Prescott 'The Biking Birder' again. And after a chat and crippling views of the rail I wished him all the very best for his challenge this year.You can follow his progress HERE