Friday, 18 September 2015

A day on the marsh, again!

Spent most of the day at Rainham Marshes, it started really promisingly. Walking down the ramp from the visitor centre the sun was shining, there was little wind and the sky was full of hirundines, well almost full! As I approached the entrance to the play area a bird caught my eye as it flew on a short sortie after an insect and returned to the same perch. It was a Spotted Flycatcher and showed well.
Spotted Flycatch near the play area
Walking through the play area there was quite a few warblers moving through the bushes including Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and one Whitethroat along with blue, great and long-tailed tits. In the taller trees behind and bordering the eastern edge of the cordite, another two Spotted Flycatchers were flycatching but from the very tops of the trees. I walked around the woodland three times but could turn up nothing more interesting, although a Jay was a good spot!

While waiting for the spot flys to come down a little lower, well a lot lower really, this Robin put in a brief appearance and serenaded me. Alas, the flycatchers stayed in the tree tops!
Robin near the cordite

Still good numbers of  Migrant Hawkers around
 Towards the end of my circuit of the reserve I came across two Whinchats near the giant ant hill, but once again they never came particularly close, but did show well. The sun had now disappeared and it was beginning to rain, so I headed home on my bike again!
Whinchat near giant ant hill

Whinchat