Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Frustrating & Fruitfall

Spent the day at Rainham Marshes. I had planned to do the bushes around the car park and then the woodlands and finish with a circuit of the reserve. It didn't quite work out, I did start in the car park before the reserve opened for an hour, there were good numbers of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps plus a few Whitethroats.

On the reserve I walked around the play area into the woodlands and then back to the bus stop where I stopped for a break. From the bus stop I spotted a bird in the hawthorns behind and immediately thought Redstart a female type, I only saw it briefly as two magpies chased each other in to the same bush and it disappeared in to the bushes heart. I grabbed my camera, moved closer and waited for it to come back out as the magpies had moved on.........and I waited and waited! Alas after probably three hours and a few sorties around the area I never saw it again! But I did see, particularly after a shower of rain had passed through, great numbers and variety of warblers actively feeding. There were at least 5 or 6 Lesser Whitethroats, 1 elusive Garden Warbler which would only show very briefly and never the whole bird. Good numbers of Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and a couple of Willow Warblers.
Common Whiethroat feasting on blackberries


A Spotted Flycatcher was a nice surprise


Lesser Whitethroat also tucking into blackberries
A Hobby flew over quite high up